header_newplain

Downtown Brown @ Underground Arts Philadelphia, PA


"Opening bands" are usually acts we have to suffer through in order to see the band we paid money to see. No offense to any band that has opened a show before, I have been in that opening band numerous times. Last month I was in Philly shooting Fishbone at the Underground Arts venue. When I got to the show I didn't even look to see the names of the opening bands. I shamefully admit I had my "I'm from the west coast, here to see a west coast band" nose in the air. Especially since this was a Fishbone show, I kind of assumed they would have some mediocre ska or white boy reggae band opening. Man...I couldn't have been more wrong and I am glad that I was.

Downtown Brown, who drove from Michigan to play this show, completely blew me away. I don't mean to sound like the jaded aging music fan that I am, but usually so many bands are unoriginal that I would rather sit outside and chain smoke cigs than suffer through un-tuned instruments and drummers who don't understand what having a good meter means. Their songwriting is something I have heard a million times before or their stage presence makes me want to take a nap. Downtown Brown was neither of those.

To best explain it, think of Tenacious D, Mr. Bungle, and the Dead Kennedy's had a baby and then that baby started its own band after listening to Pantera its whole life. Even that description doesn't do them justice for their lyrics are socially aware and relatable, delivered in a sarcastic comedic way that is backed by very talented musicians writing music at the edge of their abilities. Downtown Brown is simply an experience and the last true Rock Show. I can't remember the last time a band I have never heard before made me a fan within the first few songs of their live set. Downtown Brown is the epitome of what live music should be and a quick reminder to what so many other bands are not.  Below are a few images of their set in Philly at the Underground Arts venue on June 26th.

You can check out their website for more music and show dates. If they are in your hometown and you don't see them, trust me it will totally be your loss. Not to be a jaded aging music fan or anything....


No comments:

Post a Comment