header_newplain

Dad's.... |theDALEYlife.|


I always joke with my wife that she "outdoes" me on presents. Every time I try and make something creative for Mother's Day, a month goes by and she completely blows me out of the water on Father's Day. All competition aside, I think we thrive on having the kids involved on making our gifts. Sure we have a hand in helping them figure it out, but the planning of ideas and then making projects with the kids is priceless. Their excitement to create something for someone else and really use their brains to figure out what someone would really like is awesome to watch. Now that Mason is five years old and has done this a few times, I can really see him thinking about what he wants to do for his Mom and I am sure she see's it as well when they are making things for me. Although I think I was really close to getting a new Wii games this year...

Over the last month, I have been re-modeling our converted garage into a studio space/work space. While I had the desk area somewhat close to being done, it didn't feel very pulled together or welcoming. It was just like wood and a chair. Without ever saying anything to my wife or kids about it they surprise me on Father's Day by making it a more personal space. A comfortable area rug, treats, a desk lamp, and photos. It was perfect.

No that isn't a picture of me with a mustache and some naked babies. That would be my Dad with me and my brothers in the bath.
I still remember when all three of us use to fit in one bath. Now days each of us are too big to fit in a bath by ourselves. (we are all between 6'3" and 6'5") My Dad is a great man. Everyone thinks their Father is great, but mine is truly my hero. I think to fully understand your parents you have to become a parent yourself. All those times we butted heads and I thought he was being unfair he was actually teaching me about life. I can't even count how many times I thought I was in the right, but didn't realize I was at a crossroads and he was there to point me down the right path. As stubbornly as I may have chosen that path he was still there to make sure I took it. I know he worked a job he didn't enjoy and did it just so he could provide opportunities to me and my brothers that he didn't have. I look back on those days and feel like such a jerk sometimes. The pain in the ass that I was, he was always telling me how proud he was of me. I don't think a day rarely went by that he didn't tell me that he loved me. Until I became a Father myself, I didn't realize how important that was, but I know exactly why I tell my own kids that all the time. Every night before bed when I am tucking my kids in I make sure I tell them that I am proud of them and why. And that I love them.

Now that I am a 31 year old man, I look back on the times when I was a kid and realize how much he has shaped who I am today. I am conscious as to how I pass that along to my own children. Sometimes when I am thinking about the shitty things I did as a kid or the jackass decisions I made, I want to call him up and just say "Umm yeah remember when I did this...I am sorry." Despite probably having to have that conversation a million times I know I don't have to. As proud of me as he is, I am just as proud that he is my Father and I am lucky enough to have such a strong and loving person as my role model. Love you Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment