header_newplain

Before & After - How I Edit in Photoshop

I talk editing with other photographers all the time. I love it. I actually think of what I am going to do to photos in post production as I am shooting. But without actually showing any results it can be hard to comprehend. I am a total visual learner myself and with Photoshop you kind of have to be as well. With my clients, they rarely see their images before they are edited and I thought it would be cool to show a couple before and after photos and a little bit about how I did them. I hope it can maybe eradicate the "you must have a nice camera" comments. (photographers...you know what I am talking about)

Untitled from ryan daley on Vimeo.




Click Read More to umm read more....


ORIGINAL IMAGE <> 50mm 1.8 lens - Settings: Exposure = 1/500 <> Aperture = 2.8 <> ISO 200  

Original Image:
When I go to edit photos in post production I already have a certain kind of style that I usually apply to all of the photos in the session and certain tools that I use 9 times out of 10. If you don't use PS now or kind of mess with it you will go through certain phases of editing and at some point you will realize that 


1.) that is stupid and I am never using it again
2.) that is kind of cool, but I need to tone it down a bit....
3.) THIS is my style.

So. The image above is exactly what I view on the LCD of my camera and the image that is shown on my computer before I do any editing. While its not a bad photo, there isn't any real depth to it and just in its original state doesn't really make me look twice at it. But I like a composition, its in focus, so the next step is to open it in Photoshop and start on post production.




PHOTOSHOP ACTIONS!
Yes I do use Actions and I love them. IF you want to use actions my only advice is to make sure that the actions are helping you develop your style....not become your style. Actions can save a lot of time in post production and can teach you how to use photoshop and have a better understanding of how the software works. BUT remember, while a lot of actions can transform your photography into a really cool style, if you are only "push button editing" just think of how many other photographers are doing the exact same thing as you. 

The actions I use are made by Totally Rad Actions. Visit their site to download a sample set of actions or see how others are using them with before and after examples. pretty...um rad.




EDITED IMAGE IN PHOTOSHOP
You can view the video below to watch the process in real time.

I start by opening the RAW image file in photoshop. (I always shoot RAW and never understand why others do not. But that is for another conversation) More than half of all of my editing is done with the RAW editor in CS5. Other than making a photo Black/White sometimes I will never touch it again after the RAW edit. 

Exposure (RAW file)
I tend to shoot slightly under exposed knowing that I can tweek the exposure in PS. I usually adjust the exposure in RAW to be slightly brighter than most, but that leaves room for the next to processes to bring back in the darks and overall depth of the image. 

Contrast (RAW file)
To boost the colors and vibrance of the photo. 

Be Careful of - This is an adjustment that you have to know the line in the sand with. Not enough contrast adjustment and it looks no different. Too much contrast adjustment and your photo loses quality, the darks become too dark and while the image may be more vibrant it doesn't look natural. (unless that is the style you are going for....then by all means contrast that pic up boo boo.) 

Blacks (RAW file)
Adjusting the blacks slider in RAW separates the dark darks from the slight shades in the image and give the photo more depth. I usually only barely move this slider off of its original spot. It is an adjustment that has to be done to your taste. 

Note: These are not the only adjustments available to you in the RAW image editor with photoshop. Just the ones I use a majority of the time and the adjustments that seem to be more naturally applied before it is opened in PS as a jpg. 



Burn Tool (photoshop)
I love the Burn tool. I use the burn tool to create a natural vignetting to my images. By burning the edges of a photo or going in and making certain areas darker, it pulls the viewers eye to the focal point of the image, it give the image a boundary and an ending. I also love dramatic photos and I feel by creating more depth to my photos it gives them a more intimate feel.

There are certain aspects to using the burn tool that are important. See the diagram below.   
toobar980


Black and White (photoshop) 
As I spoke about earlier in going through editing phases, right now I am really digging black and white photography. I am not sure why it appeals to me much more than color photos. Again I am a huge fan of dramatics and I think black and white photography shows the stripped down raw aspect of life. You can take a photo taken yesterday and compare it with a photo taken 100 years ago and there is the same emotion and feeling in it. 

When I edited this photo in the video I did so using Photoshops preset black and white setting. When I am working on clients photos, to save time, I use the Totally Rad Action "Brooklyn" 


Color/Tone Control in Black and White
(select from the top navigation - "image > adjustment > black and white)

Levels Adjustment
(image > adjustments > levels)
Adjusting the levels of a black and white image, In my opinion, is where you seperate a drab black and white photo from a dynamic and exciting black and white photo. 




Check out the comparison between changing a photo to black/white vs also adjusting levels


That was a lot more content than I thought it was going to be....
If you have any questions on any of the content posted here or want to know more please feel free to shoot me an email at ryan@ryandaleyphotography.com

If you could tell from the length of this posting. I love to talk. 

No comments:

Post a Comment